Saturday, October 14, 2006

NOT terribly well thought out......

I felt like taking a ride to The Ocean today, so it's typical stunningly beautiful Oregon weather(misty, light fog, and slightly cool), so I throw on a normal T-shirt, then basically something that looks like a long sleeve fleece T-shirt, then a thick hooded sweatshirt.....cool.

Hop on and ride....

Well, the Oregon Coast Range Mountains sit about halfway between Portlandia and The Pacific Ocean. OK, it might get a touch chilly up there.....now, no, they ARE NOT The Rockies, but still.....

.....aw hell, I figure.....I mean, between the thin fleece and the heavy hooded sweatshirt, I'm fine.....no worries. So I hop on, start up my skooter, and head off into the Sunset Highway (US 26)......

Fucking hell, man does orographic cooling have a pronounced effect....what the fuck was I thinking??

By the time I got the the summit of The Coast Range Mountains (nothing HUGE....but like 1800 ft. up......compared to Portland's 55 feet above sea level) about 25 miles to The Coast, I'd realised that THAT was the VALLEY side I just climbed up, and now, going downhill, in the OCEANWARD side of the range....and basically by far, the VALLEY side of the coast range summit was the warmer of the two!!! Shit was getting waaaay cloudy and waaaay cold....lots colder than the valley side of the range. Went ten miles past the summit and just figured "fuck it" and turned around when my nose was involuntarily running and things were just getting ridiculous!!

Damm.....and I REALLY wanted to ride Hwy. 101!! Aw well......summer, then......
















Jesus Christ, plan this shit out better, E!!! Uuhhhhh.....there's a reason everyone on a motorcycle riding the coast road was wearing reeeaaaallllly think black jackets today, brain surgeon......


But Christ, how do some people actually ride in the WINTER????


Weird, and some of them going the other way looked at me and pointed their open palm to the ground. I have no idea why....maybe to show me where the ground was in relation to my position, I have no idea......

.....vege at home with a hot meal, a bottle of niiiice Zinfandel and relax.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -


Well....
the majority of people in Western New York are without power.....which means that they won't have to suffer through watching The Bills this weekend.......but sadly, they'll miss the the undefeated Buffalo Golden Slugs.....errrr.......I mean, undefeated Buffalo SABRES!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home