Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Well....passed the first trial run.....

The EEE pc (which I'm using to post this right now).
















Welp....works just as well as almost literally all neutral reviews have advertised. Ran it to Buffalo this past weekend. Colder than fuck (like, 5 degrees above zero.....AMAZING how quickly one becomes de-acclimated after a while), but the EEE pc had no worries!

  • 3 easy-access USB ports? Niiiccce..........takes mouse, camera and USB toaster
  • Wi-Fi? Shhhiiiiit! Can't even TELL you what it picks up!!! Dead ZERO issues connecting to anything at any one of my family members houses, any friends houses, and at Greater Buffalo (non)International Airport, I jus' sat in the bar (wondering if my plane was ever gonna come in) directly across from the US Scareways mega-platinum high-flyers lounge. NO worries! Snagged a T-Mobile Wi-Fi signal from there ('cause it's part of my cell fone plan) and away I went surfing! Errrmmm......WHY have I lugged that DELL Inspiron 1150 heap O' shite around all over the place again (where I had to almost be physically touching a router in order to get a signal)? And yet, for some reason, the EEE pc STILL has a standard RJ-11 jack in it (which is a standard fone landline).....THAT is handy......broadband ain't everywhere YET....
  • LINUX?? Christ.....you don't even have to THINK about it...it just fucking DOES IT!!! Fifteen seconds to fire it up and you're going!! Weird.....I always wait in anticipation for the Blue Screen Of Death to pop up.....or I start WinBlows VISTA and read five chapters of War and Peace in addition to three issues of VIZ and two issues of Planning Magazine....by then you usually get the "VISTA welcome screen" to fire up......
  • Thunderbird MailClient?? Works just as well as Outlook does, far as I can tell....
Well....trial run #2 comes up for this thing in less than three weeks in The Big Easy.....

....that will be followed eventually by Enduro Run From Hell, which NO laptop/notebook should be put through....but I DO have confidence in this little thing.....

Spent just about all of last weekend working on various computers of friends and family (where, I found out, one of said friends/family is a serious bandwidth hog....good thing they don't have Comcast as a provider in Western New York), but still, found a little bit of time to catch up briefly with my friend Ivanna, whom I hadn't seen in over ten years, and I caught a free night in a suite at Seneca Niagara....

















More later.....


-E-

2 Comments:

Blogger HRD said...

And now for the Fair and Balanced portion of our segment ... ;-)

As for Linux firing up in 15 seconds, Linux is quick (especially when you don't have 500 items in the startup process, as some crazy Injun has been know to do) but it starts up fast due to a solid-state hard drive. No moving parts to the HD is the main reason it loads so fast.

And all I can say from my previous foray into the Red Hat flavor of Linux is that assuming The USB Toaster Corporation has not written a driver for Linux, I wouldn't want to have to write a driver on my own.

This concludes the Fair and Balanced portion of our show.

Bottom line: that's a sweet little laptop.

8:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

They're working on a LINUX and a MAC driver for the UBS toaster.

I have ALWAYS had difficulty figuring out HOW the removal of items from the SYSTRAY works without A) - Deleting said item from the computer permaniently or B) - Taking out something else inadvertently that is required to be on SYSTRAY so that the computer starts up!

And I can still do at least two slices of USB toast in the time it takes VISTA to boot up (with or without tons o' stuff on the SYSTRAY! :-)

4:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home